Saturday, March 20, 2010

Arriving not exactly in the highest of spirits.

Trying to get myself to look around and realize where I am. What I've accomplished. I've successfully navigated Indian Trains and busses and found myself some nice travel buddies and have landed in a new spot. This spot, however, isn't exactly what I expected. I have to wonder, however, was it the chicken or the egg? As India is a mirror, is it merely reflecting? Are the people here unfriendly or am I unfriendly?

There were many moments of realizing as I was either on the bus or on the train, in transit from Mcleod to here, that I was headed back to India. Ooohhh, there are mosquitoes here, Ooooh, it is really humid and smoggy here, OOhh, everyone stares and takes pictures, ooooh, there is Chai everywhere... Along with the many overwhelming yet charming elements of India that are here, there are tons and tons of western travelers who all seem very unfriendly. They all have their perfect yoga bodies and are far too interested in their own spiritual development (and looking good) to give a damn about anyone else.

I feel this extreme homesickness for Tibetans and Tibetan culture. Homesickness? What an odd feeling to feel. Part of me really felt at home there. All the spirituality that I expected to find in Hindu India and didn't seemed to be found there, and I realize this more and more now that I've left. And the people... so amazing, so kind, so close to my heart, so sweet.

Well... Must give this place a chance. Must do yoga and sit with my own feelings. Must clear... My cup, which is generally empty, and must remain empty in order to be filled with my surroundings, is surprisingly filled with some intense feelings I wouldn't necessarilly have expected.

Must give this place a chance.

2 comments:

  1. Janine I was just looking over your blog. Your writing is really great and honest. Thank you for sharing. I have a hard time bringing myself to travel around alone in my own country-I can't even imagine it in India! It sounds like you are learning a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, hopefully your cup is filled with delicious chai and then emptied to create space for your learning. I am excited for you to be sensing so much within yourself and environment. Love you, Sus

    ReplyDelete