Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sick in Sarnath


We are dropping like flies, only to momentarilly rise up and fall again. In Sarnath, and everyone in our group (yes... every single one of us) has gotten sick in some way shape or form in the last 72 hours, most of us remain pretty sick and pathetic. It doesn't help that right now we share one big dorm room and even better, one bathroom that frequently runs out of water. Its a par-tay if I ever did see one.


We're in Sarnath, which is a little outside Varanasi, but has a very different fen real lifehe location where the Buddhe gave his first sermon, and there is a genetically identical copy of the Bode tree planted at the location. Also a big important site for Jains as well. We've been working in schools that a man named Dr. Jain set up for children of the untouchable caste who would not otherwise have access to any education. There is one large school with 7 or so smaller satellite schools in villages.


On the first day, there were only 5 of us who could move, so we went out. The plan was to be in groups of at least 2, but with so few of us, we each were dropped at a village school completely on our own. So yes, dropped off to suddenly have 20 kids ages 3-6 staring at me and about 30 villages staring at me, "translators" who didn't actually speak a word of english, no plan, no idea when I was actually going to be picked up, and who knows what kind of expectations. Its like one of those things you would have a bad dream about, or that would happen in a movie but would never actually happen in real life. I was garlanded with flowers and got red powder on my forehead which fell all over my nose, so I had a very red face for the entire day. I had pretty much no idea what to do... Some of the kids were made to touch my feet out of respect, which pretty much made every one of them cry.


We started with the English alphabet once the teacher figured out I had no idea what I was doing, then the Hindi alphabet. I had them teach me a little Hindi. I of course didn'tretain any of it. We did a little simple math, then I tried to get students to draw pictures. I started drawing on the board and wanted them to draw with me, but they would just draw what I drew on their little chalkboards. Finally the idea got across to a few of the 15 year olds in the village, and I got this boy, who was a little smartass, to come up and draw with me. His smartasseyness worked in my favor, and I drew a ridiculous picture of him with octopus tenticles on the board, which seemed to make everyone laugh. The kids then ran around and played, and took me on a little walk around the garden. Pulling out a camera also works wonders. The kids LOVE looking at pictures of themselves on the screen. When all else fails that will always work.


Many forced cultural experiences. Lots of being up in front of kids or young adults with no idea what to do. Getting tired of it. I don't think this particular project is being very well orchestrated. I am bothered by Dr. Jain's style, as well. He just chooses people and demands they make a statement rather than allowing people to volunteer. He does that both to the Indian kids and to us. "Colin will say something, now..." "ohh... ok." I am projecting all over a Jain... what must that say about my psyche?


I did a homestay the night before last. I loved it, the family was so nice. I was too sick to do it again last night, and I imagine I won't be up for it tonight, either. It was the same family Lauren and Robin stayed with last year, and loved.


I was again shoved in front of a class of kids yesterday, and it didn't go nearly as well. I didn't have much energy. Haven't been eating. I look forward to when I can eat again, and hope Indian food hasn't been ruined for me, but I fear it might. It sounds like just about the least appitizing thing to me right now.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you are feeling so sick, Janine. That makes even the fun and intriguing stuff a lot less exciting, not to mention the difficult and awkward stuff. Sounds like you are in the midst of a typical cross-cultural encounter--not orchestrated, flying by the seat of your pants, grabbing at straws and jamming with whatever will work. You are good at that...just think improv!
    Could you play with them more? Play with movement? Sing silly english songs? You're skilled at that...how could that be educational for them? I think your entertainment value may be more important than anything you could actually teach them in that setting. I think that Marie E. and Jason both worked there for some time; perhaps they would have some insights? Feel better soon;
    it's all just part of the journey, however miserable it feels. And your appreciation of Indian food WILL eventually return, I promise. Lotsa good juju to you...Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear! i wish you all wellness and gentle energy flow! <3 pi

    ReplyDelete