Monday, January 25, 2010

Chiang Dao


In Chiang Dao (or rather somewhat outside of it) at a place called Malee's. It is a really beautiful place surrounded by jungle and mountains out of the way of any cities but with all the comforts of home. I really like it out here. We keep doing the sharp contrast between cities and villagesque situations. We haven't exactly done a real village yet, these places have been more like retreat centers. The real fun starts in the Keran village we're going to next to do the microhydro project.

I don't actually think that monk in Chiang Mai was insulting me. I realized after I had misunderstood him, and it had just been me generating enough negativity to hear him that way. I've been having some interpersonal issues with the group, and perhaps I've also been experiencing some of the symptoms of culture shock. I was having a rough time yesterday and the day before in that sense, but still enjoying the places around me. Its almost impossible not to feel at peace with such beaity around me. I don't think I've ever been around this much undestroyed natural beauty.

The cities have their own appeal as well. Chiang Mai is a great city where it seems like almost anything is possible. I'm excited to spend some more time there. We went to an amazing vietnamise restauraunt that had some of the best food I've ever eaten.

This area that I'm in now outside of Chiang Dao has one of Peg's favorite monestaries. I can easilly see why. To get to it you have to walk up 500 steps. Along the way are little signs with buddhist teachings. The monestary is amazing. I woke up at 5 yesterday to sit for an hour and do yoga as the sun rose. Wanted to do a hike up the mountain, but realized early in it was going to be too challenging for me and turned back. During the free time I had on the way back (probably the first solid amount of time on me own) I went down to the little town where there were a bunch of old women selling herbs. They were all selling the exact same things right next to each other, something that seems to only be able to happen in Thailand. They didn't speak any english, but it was really enjoyable watching them pantamime to me the uses of the different herbs.

Today I slept in a bit (which means woke up at 8) and checked out an art center today where they do theater for social change, and then the whole group went to an orphanage.

Will return to Chiang Mai tomorrow, then off to the Keran village in a few days, then to INDIA! I believe my internet usage will be much scarcer after the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment