Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Back from the first village experience more dirty and dready for the ware.

Lots of experiences in the last few days. It feels like it has been much longer than a little under a week, but simeltaniouslym I can't really believe I've been here so long. Home, as well as those there, feels pretty distant. On the way to the train station to Kanchanaburi a few days ago we had a mix up with the times and ended up with 3 free hours to explore. I borrowed the sense of directions of 2 other ladies and explored the various markets and shopping streets. Got5 my first pair of Thai fisherman pants which I later ripped to shreds at the waterfall.

The bungalow at the village had us all crammed into one giant room seperated by levels and partitioned off mosquito netting sections for 4 of us. It was a difficult sleep situation for me, but I felt alright anyway. I think the malarone may be affecting me sleep, and have since then switched to taking it in the morning, which I think has helped.

The cave and the waterfalls in Erawan national park were beyond amazing. The waterfalls, which there were 7 of in total, became increasingly more breathtaking as you hiked up. One had waterslides constructed out of slightly concave boulders. The 7th one was by completely astonishing. I climbed up the waterfall and the calcified rocks surprisingly weren't the least bit slippery. I think this park may be my favorite place. Ever. Straight up. I've been to some beautifulm places, I realize this is saying a lot, but hands down most beautiful.

I'm certainly having some trouble with the group. They aren;t exactly the people I would have chosen to travel with, and I constantly go back an forth. They continuouslty throw me for a loop. When I decide they're a culturally inscensitive group of jerks they surprise me by doing something compassionate, when I decide they are sweet and compassionate one of them does something incredibly insensitive again. I suppose it can;t be nailed down, and there is likely a reason it is turing out this way. I'm really glad to have Jessica on the trip.

I conducted a really great interview with Wan Pen, our hostess at the village. I was able to take inititive and construct an interview before Alex, our translator left on the first day. It was about health and healing, and her experience with spirituality in general. Through the interview I was hoping to be able to construct a larger view of her and the regional cosmology of health and illness, and I was remarkable successful. My project seems to be taking off pretty well, but I'm not entirely sure what direction it'll take next.

I've really been delighted to interact with the local thais, and I've been milking the few words I know as much as I can. Even just making eye contact and gesturing is really rewarding. It sets me apart from a group which is largely not ready to adapt and assimilate and seems pretty content with being a group of loud Americans. Every chance I've gotten I've tried to have interactions with Thais. I'm surprisingly not shy about this. It probably has a lot to do with their warmth, especially Wan Pen and Mr. Hay. Anything from helping with the dishes to helping crush chili peppers. I like being just that much more saturated into the culture.

This morning I got up around 6:30 and hiked up to the Golden Buddha on the hill and meditated for awhile. Good way to start the day.

Well, I just ate the best bowl of Tom Ka I've ever had. Been a long travel day, and its about to get longer. 14 hour night train to Chiang Mai tonight. I'm excited to be in Chiang Mai.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, Wan Pen's!! One of my favorite places. That's great that you got to interview Wan Pen, I'm glad that it went well!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete